Imágenes de páginas

Captain the Honourable J. Murray and his people were saved, but made prisoners. No sooner did Commodore Cunningham receive intelligence of this disaster, than he sent in a flag of truce, and procured the liberation of the officers and ship's company by exchange. After this, finding that the enemy were preparing to float the wreck of the Jason, he resolved to deprive them of the advantage which might have resulted from the accident. Accordingly, on the 5th of August, seeing that they had succeeded in hauling her under the protection of two of their batteries, the boats of the squadron, under the orders of Lieutenant Mounsey, boarded the wreck, notwithstanding the formidable opposition presented by the batteries, a gun-brig, and seven flats, besides the rowing craft with which she was surrounded.

But owing to the rising tide, all efforts to set her on fire proved abortive, and she was abandoned. It was afterwards resolved to blow her up; and on the following day the boats again proceeded to the wreck, while a diversion was made on the enemy's shipping in their favour. At half-past twelve o'clock she was boarded under a heavy fire from the batteries ; at one, having made the requisite arrangements, and set fire to the train, they left the ship, and in thirty-five minutes after she was blown to atoms. The French were astonished at the explosion, for they thought the Commodore's object had been defeated, and it is not creditable that they suffered it, for they then had ready for sea two large frigates, three brigs, three cutters, and eight gun-boats, while our force was only one frigate, three brigs, and two luggers. The Jason was the second unlucky frigate of that name, and wrecked nearly in the same place, in less than three

years. Commodore Cunningham continued his duties, under the marked approbation of the Admiralty, till the treaty of Amiens; and the Clyde was paid off at the Great Nore on the 24th of June, 1802. On the recommencement of hostilities, the active services of our officer recommended him to immediate employment; he was therefore commissioned to the Princess

of Orange, of 74 guns, and appointed to command a squadron off the Texel. Being relieved by Sir Sidney Smith, he was appointed for a particular duty to the Leopard, a fourth-rate ship. This was the termination of his career afloat, for, in September, 1803, the Hon. Captain J. Rodney, who had procured a lucrative post in Ceylon, resigned a seat at the Victualling Board, which was, without any solicitation on his part, offered to Cunningham by Earl St. Vincent, who had had good opportunities for observing his merit. In 1806 he became the resident commissioner of Deptford and Woolwich Dock-yards, and filled that arduous situation for a period of nearly seventeen years, during which his spirit and activity were manifested in all the various departments under his direction. In 1823, the establishments of Deptford and Woolwich being reduced, the commissioner was removed to Chatham Yard, from the superintendence of which he retired on the 4th of May, 1829, with the rank of Rear-Admiral, having thus almost incessantly served the public for fifty-four years. He was treated with the greatest attention by the authorities; and on the 24th of October, 1832, his Majesty conferred upon him the honour of English knighthood, and decorated him with all the insignia of Commander of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic order. The loss of his son, a promising youth, who died while serving as a midshipman in 1822, was a severe blow to the Admiral's connection with the Navy; and he latterly resided with his daughters in retirement till, on the 11th of March, 1834, he closed a useful and exemplary life, in the eightieth year of his age, at his seat, Oak Lawn House, near Eye, in Suffolk.

Admiral Cunningham was a spare, well-built man, with hard but good features; of an active disposition, of firm principles and correct conduct. It certainly was not impossible to ruffle his temper; but his good sense and singleness of heart prevented its ebullitions from lasting. He enjoyed society, in which his conversation was various and animated : his attachments were warm and steady; whilst

his hospitality and kindness were remarkable. He was twice married : first, to Miss Boycott, who like himself was a native of Eye; and, secondly, to a daughter of Commissioner Proby, one of the companions of Anson. This lady died suddenly at Chatham, in the same room where her father expired.

From the 6 United Service Journal.”

[blocks in formation]

The family from which the late Bishop of Limerick descended was settled in Nottinghamshire (where they appear to have enjoyed considerable local respectability) during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Few families have produced more persons connected with literature. Samuel Jebb, M.D., who was eminent among the nonjurors, found leisure, amidst the cares and avocations of his medical career, to produce a variety of works in philosophy and criticism. He was the father of Sir Richard Jebb, M.D., Physician Extraordinary to King George the Third. Of Sir Richard it is said, that he was the first of the faculty who had the bravery to throw off the professional paraphernalia, - the flowing wig, the scarlet cloak, and the gold-headed cane. The Very Rev. Dr. John Jebb, Dean of Cashel, brother to Samuel, was the father of the learned John Jebb, M.D. F.R.S., whose fame as a scholar and a controversialist was scarcely second to that of any of his contemporaries. He took an active and effective part in all the discussions which involved questions of civil and religious liberty, from the era of Wilkes to that of the French revolution. Conscientious scruples led him to give up the preferment which he had acquired in the church, and to embrace the profession of medicine after he had passed the early years of his youth.

Richard, the eldest brother of Dr. Samuel Jebb, and of Dean Jebb, was the grandfather of the able and amiable prelate whose death we now record. As there had been several notices of the Jebb family in Mr. Nichols's “ Literary Anec

p. 398.

dotes," and in enumerating its members it was stated that “ Richard Jebb, it is thought, settled in Ireland,” the late Bishop, in 1819, addressed a letter to Mr. Nichols, which is printed in the “ Illustrations of Literary History," vol. v.

“ At the beginning of the last century," he says, my grandfather settled in Drogheda ; where, as a merchant, he established, and through life maintained, a high character, both for integrity and commercial knowledge and ability.” His only son, John, succeeded his father in business, and was an alderman of Drogheda. By his second wife, Alicia Forster, who was likewise descended from a good family, and was well connected, he had two sons,— Richard, lately one of the Judges of the Court of King's Bench, in Ireland, and John, the late Bishop of Limerick.

The Bishop was born at Drogheda on the 27th of September, 1775. In his early years, owing principally to the attention of his admirable and affectionate mother (to whom the occupations of his business compelled Mr. Jebb to leave the almost exclusive management of the family), he enjoyed the blessing of an excellent education ; and when, at the


of eleven, he was sent to a public school, he carried with him a mind trained to habits of study and reflection, and prepared to receive and appreciate classical literature. Having passed through the ordinary routine of studies at Celbridge and Londonderry, he was, in the year 1791, admitted a student of Trinity College, Dublin, under the tuition of the late Archbishop of Dublin, Dr. Magee. The talent of the pupil soon attracted the notice of his tutor, and a friendship early commenced, which was terminated only by the death of the Archbishop

This was the “golden age” of the Dublin University : never was there a period in its history when science and polite literature were so ardently cultivated, and so closely united. Among Jebb's contemporaries were Lloyd, the present Provost; Davenports the unflinching advocate of liberal principles “ when evil days came;" Wray, Sandes, Sadlier, and Wall, now Fellows of the University; M.Mahon, Wallace,

« AnteriorContinuar »