« AnteriorContinuar »
And, fix’d on Cambria's solitary shore, Give to St. Đavid one true Briton more. * For who would leave, unbrib'd, Hibernia's land, Or change the rocks of Scotland for the Strand 2 There none are swept by sudden fate away, But all, whom hunger spares, with age decay: Here malice, rapine, accident, conspire; And now a rabble rages, now a fire; Their ambush here relentless ruffians lay, And here the fell attorney prowls for prey; Here falling houses thunder on your head, And here a female Atheist talks you dead. * While THALEs waits the wherry that contains Of dissipated wealth the small remains, On Thames's banks, in silent thought we stood Where Greenwich smiles upon the silver flood; Struck with the seat that gave ELIZA* birth, We kneel, and kiss the consecrated earth; In pleasing dreams the blissful age renew, And call Britannia's glories back to view; }}elloid her cross triumphant on the main, The guard of commerce, and the dread of Spain, Ere masquerades debauch'd, Cxcise oppress'd, Or English honour grew a standing jest. A transient * – Ego vel Prochytani praepono Suburrae, Nam quid tam miserum, tam folum widimus ut non Peterius credas horrere incendia, lapsus Tectorum assiduos, & mille pericula saeva Urbis, & Augusto recitantes mense poetas * Sed, dum total domus rheda componitur ună, Substitit ad veteres arcus.-
* Queen Elizabeth, born at Greenwich,
A transient calm the happy scenes bestow,
*Since worth, he cries, in these degenerate days
* Hic tune Unbritius: Quando artibus, inquit, honestis Nullus in urbe locus, nulla emolumenta laborum, Res hodie minor est, heri quann suit, atque eadem cras Deteret exiguis aliquid : propomimus illuo Pre, fatigatas ubi Daedalus exuit alas; Dum Hova canities.——
* —— et pedipus ne Porto meis, nullo dextram subeunte bacillo.
* Cedamus patriá vivant Arturius istic El Catullus: Inaneant qui migra in candida vertunt.
Explain their country's dear-bought rights away,
Siccandam eluvierm, poro andum ad busta cadaver.
* Quid Ronna faciam mentiri nescio: librum, Si malus est, nequeo laudare & poscere.——
9 Ferre ad nuptam quae inittit adulter,
Quæ mandot norint alii; me memo ministro
* The invasions of the Spaniards were defended in the houses of parliament,
With more address a lover's note convey,
Unsuilted fame, and conscience ever gay.
* The cheated nation's happy favorites, see Mark whom the great caress, who frown on me ! LONDON themeedy villain's gen'ral home, . The common-sewer of Paris and of Rome; With eager thirst, by folly or by fate, Sucks-in the dregs of each corrupted state. Forgive my transports on a theme like this, ”I cannot bear a French metropolis.
To Quis nunc diligitor nisi conscius
II —Tanti tibi non sit opaci
Omnis arena Tagi, quodgue in mare volvitur aurum,
- - - - - .
* Illustrious EDWARD ! from the realms of day, The land of heroes and of Saints survey; Nor hope the British lineaments to trace, The rustick grandeur, or the surly grace; But, lost in thoughtless ease and empty show, Behold the warrior dwindled to a beau; Sense, freedom, piety, refind away, Of France the mimick, and of Spain the prey. All that at home no more can beg or steal, Or like a gibbet better than a wheel; . Hiss'd from the stage, or hooted from the court, Their air, their dress, their politicks import; * Obsequious, artful, voluble, and gay, On Britain's fond credulity they prey. No gainful trade their industry can 'scape, *They sing, they dance, clean shoes, or cure a clap: All sciences a fasting Monsieur knows, And bid him go to hell, to hell he goes. "Ah! what avails it, that, from slav'ry far, I drew the breath of life in English air; Was early taught a Briton's right to prize, And lisp the tale of HENRY's victories; If the gull'd conqueror receives the chain, And flattery prevails when arms are vain? g - Studious * Rusticus ille tuus Sumit trechedipna, Quirine, # Et ceromatico fert niceteria collo. * Ingenium velox, audacia perdita, sermo Proraptus. . * Augur Schoenobates, medicus, magus : omnia novit, Graeculus esuriens, in coelum, jusseris, ibit. * Usque adeo nihil est, quod nostrainfantia coelum Hausit Aventini;