« AnteriorContinuar »
I will give.
brother ; keep that thou hast unto thyself
. I with his cattle in the field; and Jacob held 10. And Jacob said, Nay, I pray thee; his peace until they were come. if now I have found grace in thy sight, then 6. And Hamor the father of Shechem receive my present at my hand: for there went out unto Jacob to coinmune with him. fore I have seen thy face, as though I had 7. And the sons of Jacob came out of seen the face of God, and thou wast the field when they heard it: and the men pleased with me.
were grieved, and they were very wroth, be11. Take, I pray thee, my blessing that cause he had wrought folly in Israel in is brought to thee; because God hath lying with Jacob's daughter; which thing dealt graciously with me, and because I ought not to be done. have enough. And he urged him, and he 8. And Hamor communed with them, took it.
saying, The soul of my son Shechem long12. And he said, Let us take our journey, eth for your daughter: I pray you give her and let us go, and I will go before thee. him to wife.
13. And he said unto him, My lord know- 9. And make ye marriages with us, and eth that the children are tender, and the give your daughters unto us, and take our flocks and herds with young are with me; daughters unto you. and if men should over-drive them one day, 10. And ye shall dwell with us: and the all the flock will die.
land shall be before you : dwell and trade 14. Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over you therein, and get you possessions therein. before his servant ; and I will lead on softly, 11. And Shechem said unto her father, according as the cattle that goeth before me and unto her brethren, Let me find grace in and the children be able to endure; until your eyes, and what ye
say unto me I come unto my lord unto Seir.
15. And Esáu said, Let me now leave 12. Ask me never so much dowry and with thee some of the folk that are with me. gist, and I will give according as ye shall say And he said, What needeth it? let me unto me: but give me the damsel to wife. find grace in the sight of my lord.
13. And the sons of Jacob answered 16. So Esau returned that day on his way Shechem and Hamor his father deceitfully, unto Seir.
and said, (because he had defiled Dinah 17. And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, their sister :) and built him a house, and made booths 14. And they said unto them, We cannot for his cattle: therefore the name of the do this thing, to give our sister to one place is called Succoth.
that is uncircumcised ; for that were a re13. And Jacob came to Shalem, a city proach unto us : of Shechem, which is in the land of Ca- 15. But in this we will consent unto you: naan, when he came from Padan-aram; if ye will be as we be, that every male of and pitched his tent before the city. you be circumcised,
19. And he bought a parcel of a field, 16. Then will we give our daughters unwhere he had spread his tent, at the hand to you, and we will take your daughters to of the children of Hamor, Shechem's father, us, and we will dwell with you, and we will for a hundred pieces of money.
become one people. 20. And he erected there an altar, and 17. But if ye will not hearken unto us, to called it El-elohe-Israel.
be circumcised; then will we take our CHAP. XXXIV.
daughter, and we will be gone. 1 Dirck is ravished by Shechem: 4 He sueth to marry her. 18. And their words pleased Hamor, and 13 The sons of Jacob offer the condition of circumcision to the Shechemiles. 30 Jacob reproveth Simeon and Levi.
Shechem Hamor's son. 1.
"A which she bare unto Jacob, went
out do the thing, because he had delight in sa
to see the daughters of the land.
cob's daughter : and he was more honoura2. And when Shechem the son of Hamor ble than all the house of his father. the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he 20. And Hamor and Shechem his son took her, and lay with her, and defiled her. came unto the gate of their city, and com
3. And his soul clave unto Dinah the muned with the men of their city, saying, daughter of Jacob; and he loved the dam- 21. These men are peaceable with us, sel, and spake kindly unto the damsel. therefore let them dwell in the land, and
4. And Shechem spake unto his father trade therein; for the land, behold, it is Hamor, saying, Get me this damsel to wife. large enough for them: let us take their
5. And Jacob heard that he had defiled daughters to us for wives, and let us give Dinah his daughter: now his sons were them our daughters.
22. Only herein will the men consent and Jacob hid them under the oak which unto us for to dwell with us, to be one peo- was by Shechem. ple, if every male among us be circum- 5. And they journeyed: and the terror of cised, as they are circumcised.
God was upon the cities that were round 23. Shall not their cattle, and their sub- about them, and they did not pursue after stance, and every beast of theirs, be ours? the sons of Jacob. Only let us consent unto them, and they 6. 1 So Jacob came to Luz, which is in will dwell with us.
the land of Canaan, that is Beth-el, he, and 24. And unto Hamor and unto She- all the people that were with him. chem bis son hearkened all that went out of 7. And he built there an altar, and called the gate of his city; and every male was the place El-beth-el; because there God circumcised, all that went out of the gate of appeared unto him, when he fled from the
face of his brother. 25. And it came to pass on the third day, 8. But Deborah, Rebekah's nurse died, when they were sore, that two of the sons of and she was buried beneath Beth-el under Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brethren, an oak: and the name of it was called took each man his sword, and came upon Allon-bachuth. the city boldly, and slew all the males. 9. | And God appeared unto Jacob
26. And they slew Hamor and Shechem again, when he came out of Padan-aram, his son with the edge of the sword, and took and blessed him. Dinah out of Shechem's house, and went out. 10. And God said unto him, Thy name
27. The sons of Jacob came upon the is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any slain, and spoiled the city, because they had more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name : defiled their sister.
and he called his name Israel. 28. They took their sheep, and their oxen, 11. And God said unto him, I am God and their asses, and that which was in the Almighty; be fruitful and multiply: a nation city, and that which was in the field; and a company of nations shall be of thee;
29. And all their wealth, and all their lit- and kings shall come out of thy loins : tle ones, and their wives, took they captive, 12. And the land which I gave Abraham and spoiled even all that was in the house. and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy
30.' And Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, seed after thee will I give the land. Ye have troubled me, to make me to stink 13. And God went up from him in the among the inhabitants of the land, among place where he talked with him. the Canaanites and the Perizzites : and I 14. And Jacob set up a pillar in the being few in number, they shall gather them- place where he talked with him, even a pilselves together against me, and slay me; and lar of stone; and he poured a drink-offering I shall be destroyed, I and my house. thereon, and he poured oil thereon.
31. And they said, Should he deal with 15. And Jacob called the name of the our sister as with a harlot?
place, where God spake with him, Bethel. CHAP. XXXV.
16. 1 And they journeyed from Beth-el; 1 God sendeth Jacob to Beth-el : 2 He purgeth his house and there was but a little way to come to
of idols. 9 God blesseth Jacob at Beth-el. 16 Rachel Ephrath: and Rachel travailed, and she had The sons of Jacob. 28 The age, death, and burial of Isaac. hard labour. 1. 1. A
ND God said unto Jacob, Arise, go 17. And it came to pass, when she was
up to Beth-el, and dwell there ; and in hard labour, that the midwife said unto make there an altar unto God, that ap- her, Fear not; thou shalt have this son also. peared unto thee when thou fleddest from 18. And it came to pass, as her soul was the face of Esau thy brother.
in departing, (for she died, that she called 2. Then Jacob said unto his household, his name Ben-oni: but his father called him and to all that were with him, Put away the Benjamin. strange gods that are among you, and be 19. And Rachel died, and was buried in clean, and change your garments :
the way to Ephrath, which is Beth-lehem. 3. And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; 20. And Jacob set a pillar upon her grave: and I will make there an altar unto God, that is the pillar of Rachel's grave unto this who answered me in the day of my dis- day. tress, and was with me in the way which 21. 1 And Israel journeyed, and spread I went.
his tent beyond the tower of Edar. 4. And they gave unto Jacob all the 22. And it came to pass, when Israel strange gods which were in their hand, and dwelt in that land, that 'Reuben went and all their ear-rings which were in their ears; I lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and
Israel heard it. Now the sons of Jacob 12. And Timna was concubine to Eliphaz, were twelve:
Esau's son; and she bare to Eliphaz, Amalek: 23. The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's these were the sons of Adah, Esau's wife. first-born, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, 13. And these are the sons of Reuel; and Issachar, and Zebulun:
Nahath, and Zerah, Shammah, and Miz24. The sons of Rachel; Joseph, and zah: these were the sons of Bashemath, Benjamin :
Esau's wife. 25. And the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's 14. 1 And these were the sons of Aholihandmaid; Dan, and Naphtali:
bamah, the daughter of Anah, daughter of 26. And the sons of Zilpah, Leah's hand- Zibeon, Esau's wife ; and she bare to Esau, maid; Gad, and Asher. These are the Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah. sons of Jacob, which were born to him in 15. I These were dukes of the sons of Padan-aram.
Esau: the sons of Eliphaz the first-born son 27. 9 And Jacob came unto Isaac his of Esau ; duke Teman, duke Omar, duke father, unto Mamre, unto the city of Arbah, Zepho, duke Kenaz, which is Hebron, where Abraham and 16. Duke Korah, duke Gatam, and duke Isaac sojourned.
Amalek. These are the dukes that came of 26. And the days of Isaac were a hun-| Eliphaz in the land of Edom: these were dred and fourscore years.
the sons of Adah. 29. And Isaac gave up the ghost, and 17. | And these are the sons of Reuel, died, and was gathered unto his people, | Esau's son; duke Nahath, duke Zerah, being old and full of days: and his sons duke Shammah, duke Mizzah. These are Esau and Jacob buried him.
the dukes that came of Reuel in the land of CHAP. XXXVI.
Edom: these are the sons of Bashemath, 2 Esan's three tires : 6 His removing to mount Seir. 15
18. | And these are the sons of Aholi1. TOW these are the generations of bamah, Esau's wife ; duke Jeush, duke Esau, who is Edom.
Jaalam, duke Korah: these were the dukes 2. Esau took bis wives of the daughters that came of Aholibamah, the daughter of of Canaan; Adah the daughter of Elon the Anah, Esau's wife. Hittite, and Aholibamah the daughter of 19. These are the sons of Esau, who is Anah, the daughter of Zibeon the Hivite; Edom, and these are their dukes.
3. And Bashemath, Ishmael's daughter, 20. | These are the sons of Seir the sister of Nebajoth.
Horite, who inhabited the land ; Lotan, and 4. And Adah bare to Esau, Eliphaz; Shobal, and Zibeon, and Anah, and Bashemath bare Reuel.
21. And Dishon, and Ezer, and Dishan. 5. And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and These are the dukes of the Horites, the Jaalam, and Korah. These are the sons of children of Seir in the land of Edom. Esau, which were born unto him in the 22. And the children of Lotan were Hori land of Canaan.
and Heman: and Lotan's sister was Timna. 6. And Esau took his wives, and his 23. And the children of Shobal were Sons, and his daughters, and all the persons these ; Alvan, and Manahath, and Ebal, of his house, and his cattle, and all his Shepho, and Onam. beasts, and all his substance, which he 24. And these are the children of Zibeon ; had got in the land of Canaan ; and went both Ajah and Anah: this was that Anah into the country from the face of his bro- that found the mules in the wilderness, as ther Jacob.
he fed the asses of Zibeon his father. 7. For their riches were more than that 25. And the children of Anah were these; they might dwell together; and the land Dishon, and Aholibanah the daughter of wherein they were strangers could not bear Anah. them, because of their cattle.
26. And these are the children of Di8. Thus dwelt Esau in mount Seir: Esau shon; Hemdan, and Eshban, and Ithran, and is Edom.
Cheran. 9. And these are the generations of Esau, 27. The children of Ezer are these ; Bilthe father of the Edomites, in mount Seir. han, and Zaavan, and Akan.
10. These are the names of Esau's sons; 28. The children of Dishan are these; Eliphaz the son of Adah the wife of Esau, Uz, and Aran. Reuel the son of Bashemath the wife of Esau. 29. These are the dukes that came of the
11. And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Horites; duke Lotan, duke Shobal, duke Omar, Zepho, and Gatam, and Kenaz. Zibeon, duke Anah,
30. Duke Dishon, duke Ezer, duke Di- || they hated him, and could not speak peaceshan. These are the dukes that came of ably unto him. Hori, among their dukes in the land of Seir. 5. And Joseph dreamed a dream, and he
31. 1 And these are the kings that reigned told it his brethren: and they hated him yet in the land of Edom, before there reigned the more. any king over the children of Israel.
6. And he said unto them, Hear, I pray 32. And Bela, the son of Beor, reigned you, this dream which 1 have dreamed: in Edom; and the name of his city was 7. For, behold, we were binding sheaves Dinhabah.
in the field, and, lo, my sheaf arose, and 33. And Bela died; and Jobab, the son also stood upright; and, behold, your of Zerah of Bozrah, reigned in his stead. sheaves stood round about, and made obei34. And Jobab died; and Husham of the sance to
sheaf. land of Temani reigned in his stead.
8. And his brethren said to him, Shalt 35. And Husham died; and Hadad, the thou indeed reign over us! or shalt thou son of Bedad, who smote Midian in the indeed have dominion over us? And they field of Moab, reigned in his stead; and the hated him yet the more for his dreams, name of his city was Avith.
and for his words. 36. And Hadad died; and Samlah of 9. And he dreamed yet another dream, Masrekah reigned in his stead.
and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, 37. And Samlah died; and Saul of Re- I have dreamed a dream more; and, behoboth by the river reigned in his stead. hold, the sun, and the moon, and the eleven
38. And Saul died; and Baal-hanan, the stars, made obeisance to me. son of Achbor, reigned in his stead.
10. And he told it to his father, and to 39. And Baal-hanan, the son of Achbor his brethren : and his father rebuked him, died; and Hadar reigned in his stead: and and said unto him, What is this dream that the name of his city was Pau; and his thou hast dreamed? Shall I, and thy mowife's name was Mehetabal, the daughter ther, and thy brethren, indeed come to bow of Matred, the daughter of Mezahab. down ourselves to thee to the earth?
40. And these are the names of the dukes 11. And his brethren envied him; but his that came of Esau, according to their fami- father observed the saying. lies, after their places, by their names; duke 12. 1 And his brethren went to feed their Timnah, duke Alvah, duke Jetheth, father's flock in Shechem.
41. Duke Aholibamah, duke Elah, duke 13. And Israel said unto Joseph, Do not Pinon,
thy brethren feed the flock in Shechem? 42. Duke Kenaz, duke Teman, duke come, and I will send thee unto them. Mibzar,
And he said to him, Here am I. 43. Duke Magdiel, duke Iram: these be 14. And he said to him, Go, I pray thee, the dukes of Edom, according to their habi- || see whether it be well with thy brethren, tations in the land of their possession : he and well with the flocks; and bring me is Esau, the father of the Edomites.
word again. So he sent him out of the CHAP. XXXVII.
vale of Hebron, and he came to Shechem.
15. And a certain man found him, and, be2. Joseph is hated of his brethren : 5. His two dreams..: 18 hold, he was wandering in the field: and the
26 They sell him to the Ishmeelites : 36 He is sold to Poli- man asked him, saying, What seekest thou? phar in Egypt.
16. And he said, I seek my brethren: tell 1.
father the land 17. man said, They are departed of Canaan.
hence; for I heard them say, Let us go to 2. 1 These are the generations of Jacob. Dothan. And Joseph went after his breJoseph, being seventeen years old, was feed-thren, and found them in Dothan. ing the flock with his brethren; and the lad 18. And when they saw him afar off, was with the sons of Bilhah, and with the even before he came near unto them, they sons of Zilpah, his father's wives: and Joseph conspired against him to slay him. brought unto his father their evil report. 19. And they said one to another, Be
3. Now Israel loved Joseph more than hold, this dreamer cometh. all bis children, because he was the son of 20. Come now, therefore, and let us slay his old age: and he made him a coat of him, and cast him into some pit; and we
will say, Some evil beast hath devoured 4. And when his brethren saw that their him: and we shall see what will become father loved him more than all his brethren, ll of his dreams.
21. And Reuben heard it, and he de
CHAP. XXXVIII. livered him out of their hands; and said, 6 Er marrieth Tamar. 13 She deceiveth Judah. 27 She Let us not kill him.
beareth twins, Pharez and Zarah. 22. And Reuben said unto them, Shed no 1.
, blood, but cast him into this pit that is in the "AND it came to pass at that time, that wilderness, and lay no hand upon him; that and turned in to a certain Adullamite, he might rid him out of their hands, to deli- whose name was Hirah. ver him to his father again.
2. And Judah saw there a daughter of a 23. And it came to pass, when Joseph certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; was come unto his brethren, that they stript and he took her, and went in unto her. Joseph out of his coat, his coat of many co
3. And she conceived, and bare a son ; lours, that was on him ;
and he called his name Er. 24. And they took him, and cast him into 4. And she conceived again, and bare a a pit: and the pit was empty, there was no son; and she called his name Onan. water in it.
5. And she yet again conceived, and 25. And they sat down to eat bread: bare a son; and called his name Shelah: and they lifted up their eyes, and looked, and he was at Chezib when she bare him. and, behold, a company of Íshmeelites came 6. And Judah took a wife for Er his firstfrom Gilead, with their camels bearing spi- born, whose name was Tamar. cery and balm and myrrh, going to carry it 7. And Er, Judah's first-born, was wicked down to Egypt
in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD 26. And Judah said unto his brethren, slew him. What profit is it if we slay our brother, and 8. And Judah said unto Onan, Go in conceal his blood?
unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and 27. Come, and let us sell him to the Ish- raise up seed to thy brother. meelites, and let not our hand be upon 9. And Onan knew that the seed should him; for he is our brother, and our flesh. not be his : and it came to pass, when he And his brethren were content.
went in unto his brother's wife, that he 28. Then there passed by Midianites, spilled it on the ground, lest that he should merchantmen; and they drew and lifted give seed to his brother. up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph 10. And the thing which he did displeasto the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: ed the LORD; wherefore he slew him also. and they brought Joseph into Egypt.
11. Then said Judah to Tamar his daugh29. And Reuben returned unto the pit; ter-in-law, Remain a widow at thy father's and, behold, Joseph was not in the pit: and house till Shelah my son be grown: for he he rent his clothes:
said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his 30. And he returned unto his brethren, brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt and said, The child is not; and I, whither in her father's house. shall I go?
12. And in process of time the daughter 31. And they took Joseph's coat, and kill of Shuah, Judah's wife, died; and Judah ed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat was comforted, and went up unto his sheepin the blood:
shearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hi32. And they sent the coat of many co- rah the Adullamite. lours, and they brought it to their father; 13. And it was told Tamar, saying, Beand said, This have we found : know now hold, thy father-in-law goeth up to Timwhether it be thy son's coat or no.
nath to shear his sheep. 33. And he knew it, and said, It is my 14. And she put her widow's garments off son's coat; an evil beast hath devoured from her, and covered her with a vail, and him : Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces. wrapped herself
, and sat in an open place, 34. And Jacob rent his clothes, and put which is by the way to Timnath : for she sackcloth upon his loins, and mourned for saw that Shelah was grown, and she was his son many days.
not given unto him to wise. 35. And all his sons and all his daugh- 15. When Judah saw her, he thought her to ters rose up to comfort him ; but he refused be a harlot, because she had covered her face. to be comforted: and he said, For I will go 16. And he turned unto her by the way, down into the grave unto my son mourning. and said, Go to, I pray thee, let me come Thus his father wept for him.
in unto thee; (for he knew not that she 36. And the Midianites sold him into was his daughter-in-law.) And she said, Egypt, unto Potiphar, an officer of Pha- What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest raoh's, and captain of the guard.
come in unto me?