« AnteriorContinuar »
7. And said, I pray you, brethren, do not unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape So wickedly.
thither, (is it not a little one ?) and my soul 8. Behold now, I have two daughters shall live. which have not known man ; let me, I pray 21. And he said unto him, See, I have you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to accepted thee concerning this thing also, them as is good in your eyes: only unto that I will not overthrow this city, for the these men do nothing ; for therefore came which thou hast spoken. they under the shadow of my roof.
22. Haste thee, escape thither; for I can9. And they said, Stand back. And they not do any thing till thou be come thither. said again, This one fellow came in to Therefore the name of the city was called sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now Zoar. will we deal worse with thee than with 23. The sun was risen upon the earth them. And they pressed sore upon the man, when Lot entered into Zoar. eren Lot, and came near to break the door. 24. Then the LORD rained upon Sodom,
10. But the men put forth their hand, and and upon Gomorrah, brimstone and fire from pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut the LORD out of heaven; to the door.
25. And be overthrew those cities, and 11. And they smote the men that were all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the at the door of the house with blindness, both cities, and that which grew upon the ground. small and great; so that they wearied 26. But his wife looked back from bethemselves to find the door.
hind him, and she became a pillar of salt. 12. [ And the men said unto Lot, Hast 27. 1 And Abraham gat up early in the thou here any besides ? Son-in-law, and morning to the place where he stood before thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever the LORD: thou hast in the city, bring them out of this 28. And he looked toward Sodom and place:
Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the 13. For we will destroy this place, be-plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the cause the cry of them is waxen great be-country went up as the smoke of a furnace. fore the face of the LORD; and the LORD 29. And it came to pass, when God dehath sent us to destroy it.
stroyed the cities of the plain, that God 14. And Lot went out, and spake unto remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out his sons-in-law, which married his daughters, of the midst of the overthrow, when he and said, Up, get ye out of this place; for the overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt. Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed 30. 1 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and as one that mocked unto his sons-in-law. dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters
15. And when the morning arose, then with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughtake thy wife, and thy two daughters, which ters. are here; lest thou be consumed in the ini- 31. And the first-born said unto the quity of the city.
younger, Our father is old, and there is not 16. And while he lingered, the men laid a man in the earth to come in unto us after hold upon his hand, and upon the hand the manner of all the earth : of his wife, and upon the hand of his two 32. Come, let us make our father drink daughters; the LORD being merciful unto wine, and we will lie with him, that we him: and they brought him forth, and set may preserve seed of our father. him without the city.
33. And they made their father drink 17. And it came to pass, when they had wine that night : and the first-born went brought them forth abroad, that he said, in, and lay with her father; and he perEscape for thy life; look not behind thee, ceived not when she lay down, nor when neither stay thou in all the plain ; escape to she arose. the mountain, lest thou be consumed.
34. And it came to pass on the morrow, 18. And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, that the first-born said unto the younger,
Behold, I lay yesternight with my father : 19. Behold now, thy servant hath found let us make him drink wine this night also ; grace in thy sight, and thou hast mag- and go thou in, and lie with him, that we dified thy mercy, which thou hast showed may preserve seed of our father. unto me in saving my life; and I cannot 35. And they made their father drink escape to the mountain, lest some evil take wine that night also: and the younger arose, me, and I die.
and lay with him; and he perceived not 20. Behold now, this city is near to flee when she lay down, nor when she arose.
and loseth her.
36. Thus were both the daughters of j| daughter of my mother; and she became Lot with child by their father.
37. And the first-born bare a son, and 13. And it came to pass, when God called his name Moab: the same is the caused me to wander from my father's father of the Moabites unto this day. house, that I said unto her, This is thy
38. And the younger, she also bare a son, kindness which thou shalt show unto me; and called his name Ben-ammi : the same is at every place whither we shall come, say the father of the children of Ammon unto of me, He is my brother.
14. And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, CHAP. XX.
and men-servants, and women-servants, 1 Abraham sojourneth at Gerar : 2 He denieth his wife and gave them unto Abraham, and restored 1. AND Abraham journeyed from thence him
Sarah his wife,
15. And Abimelech said, Behold, my ed between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourn- land is before thee: dwell where it pleased in Gerar.
eth thee. 2. And Abraham said of Sarah his wife,
16. And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I She is my sister: and Abimelech king of
have given thy brother a thousand pieces Gerar sent and took Sarah.
of silver; behold, he is to thee a covering 3. But God came to Abimelech in of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, dream by night, and said to him, Behold, and with all other : thus she was reproved. thou art but a dead man, for the woman
17. So Abraham prayed unto God: and which thou hast taken; for she is a man's God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and wife.
his maid-servants; and they bare children. 4. But Abimelech had not come near
18. For the Lord had fast closed up all her: and he said, LORD, wilt thou slay also the wombs of the house of Abimelech, bea righteous nation?
cause of Sarah, Abraham's wife. 5. Said he not unto me, She is my sis
CHAP. XXI. ter? And she, even she herself
, said, He 1 Isaac is born : 4 He is circumcised. 9 Hagar and Ishmael
are cast forth. is my brother: In the integrity of my 1.
ND the LORD visited Sarah as he had heart, and innocency of my hands, have I done this.
he had spoken: 6. And God said unto him in a dream, 2. For Sarah conceived, and bare Abra. Yea, I know that thou didst this in the ham a son in his old age, at the set time of integrity of thy heart; for 1 also withheld which God had spoken to him. thee from sinning against me: therefore suf- 3. And Abraham called the name of his fered I thee not to touch her.
son that was born unto him, whom Sarah 7. Now, therefore, restore the man his bare to him, Isaac. wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray 4. And Abraham circumcised his son for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou re- Isaac, being eight days old, as God had store her not, know thou that thou shalt commanded him. surely die, thou, and all that are thine. 5. And Abraham was a hundred years
8. Therefore Abimelech rose early in the old, when his son Isaac was born unto morning, and called all his servants, and him. told all these things in their ears: and the 6. And Sarah said, God hath made me men were sore afraid.
to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh 9. Then Abimelech called Abraham, and with me. said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? 7. And she said, Who would have said and what have I offended thee, that thou unto · Abraham, that Sarah should have hast brought on me and on my kingdom given children suck? for I have borne him a a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me son in his old age. that ought not to be done.
8. And the child grew, and was weaned : 10. And Abimelech said unto Abraham, and Abraham made a great feast the same What sawest thou, that thou hast done this day that Isaac was weaned. thing!
9. | And Sarah saw the son of Hagar 11. And Abraham said, Because I the Egyptian, which she had borne unto thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this Abraham, mocking: place; and they will slay me for my wife's 10. Wherefore she said unto Abraham, sake.
Cast out this bond-woman and her son: 12. And yet indeed she is my sister; she for the son of this bond-woman shall not is the daughter of my father, but not the ll be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
" And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water : and she went, and filled
the bottle with water, and gave the lud drink.”—Genesis, xxi. 19.
u. And the thing was very grievous in 27. And Abraham took sheep and oxen, Abraham's sight, because of his son. and gave them unto Abimelech; and both
12. And God said unto Abraham, Let of them made a covenant. it not be grievous in thy sight, because 28. And Abraham set seven ewe-lambs of the lad, and because of thy bond-woman; of the flock by themselves. in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hear- 29. And Abimelech said unto Abraham, ken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy What mean these seven ewe-lambs, which seed be called.
thou hast set by themselves? 13. And also of the son of the bond- 30. And he said, For these seven ewe. woman will I make a nation, because he lambs shalt thou take of my hand, that they is thy seed.
may be a witness unto me that I have 14. 1 And Abraham rose up early in the digged this well. morning, and took bread and a bottle of 31. Wherefore he called that place Beerwater, and gave it unto Hagar, (putting it on sheba; because there they sware both of her shoulder,) and the child, and sent her them. away: and she departed, and wandered in 32. Thus they made a covenant at Beerthe wilderness of Beer-sheba.
sheba : then Abimelech rose up, and Phi15. And the water was spent in the bot-chol the chief captain of his host, and they tle, and she cast the child under one of the returned unto the land of the Philistines. shrubs.
33. And Abraham planted a grove in 16. And she went, and sat her down Beer-sheba, and called there on the name of over against him, a good way off, as it were the LORD, the everlasting God. a bow-shot: for she said, Let me not see the 34. And Abraham sojourned in the death of the child. And she sat over Philistines' land many days. against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
CHAP. XXII. 17. And God heard the voice of the lad: 1 Abraham is tempted to offer Isaac? 3 He giveth proof of and the angel of God called to Hagar out
his faith and obedience. of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth 1. ND it came to pass, after these thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath things, that God did tempt Abraham, heard the voice of the lad where he is. and said unto him, Abraham: and he said
18. Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him Behold here I am. in thine hand; for I will make him a great 2. And he said, Take now thy son, thine nation.
only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get 19. And God opened her eyes, and she thee into the land of Moriah ; and offer him saw a well of water; and she went, and there for a burnt-offering upon one of the filled the bottle with water, and gave the mountains which I will tell thee of. lad drink.
3. And Abraham rose up early in the 20. And God was with the lad; and he morning, and saddled his ass, and took two grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and be- of his young men with him, and Isaac his came an archer.
son, and clave the wood for the burnt-offer21. And he dwelt in the wilderness of ing, and rose up, and went unto the place of Paran: and his mother took him a wife which God had told him. out of the land of Egypt.
4. Then on the third day Abraham lift 22. 1 And it came to pass at that time, up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. that Abimelech, and Phichol the chief cap- 5. And Abraham said unto' his young tain of his host, spake unto Abraham, saying, men, Abide you here with the ass; and I God is with thee in all that thou doest: and the lad will go yonder and worship,
23. Now, therefore, swear unto me here and come again to you. by God, that thou wilt net deal falsely with 6. And Abraham took the wood of the me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son: burnt-offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; but according to the kindness that I have and he took the fire in his hand, and a done unto thee, thou shalt do unto me, and knife: and they went both of them together. to the land wherein thou hast sojourned. 7. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his
24. And Abraham said, I will swear. father, and said, My father: and he said,
25. And Abraham reproved Abimelech, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold, because of a well of water, which Abime the fire and the wood; but where is the lech's servants had violently taken away.
lamb for a burnt-offering? 26. And Abimelech said, I wot not who 8. And Abraham said, My son, God will hath done this thing ; neither didst thou tell provide himself a lamb for a burnt-offering : me, neither yet heard I of it but to-day. so they went both of them together.