« AnteriorContinuar »
DUBLIN EXAMINATION PAPERS,
UNDERGRADUATE HONOR EXAMINATION PAPERS
Translate:1. Beginning, Ει δε και ταυτά έστι των καθ' αυτά, κ. τ.λ. Ending, νύν δε τοιούτόν τι ζητείται.
ARISTOTLE, Ethics. Nichom., 1. vi. II, 2. Beginning, “Απαντα μέν ούν ταύτα ουδείς αν αγνοήσειε, κ. τ.λ. Ending, αρχή εν αυτώ, ειδότι τα καθ' έκαστα εν οίς η πράξις.
Ibid., ΙΙΙ. 1. 17. 3. Beginning, Έτι δε και διαφέρουσιν αι καθ' έκαστον παιδείαι, κ. τ.λ. Ending, ότι περί τούθ' αι επιστημαι.
Ibid., Χ. ix. 15.
1. Give the main facts of Aristotle's life, and discuss his relations to Alexander. . 2. What do we know of Aristotle's dialogues ?
3. What of his poetry?
direct effects of his philosophy on the history of Greece?
6. Sketch the history of his School.
1. Butler specifies two ways of treating the subject of morals. Give some examples of his arguing that vice is contrary to the nature of things.
2. State the proof that there is a difference in kind between the inward principles.
3. An injury done is resented more than one merely designed. Butler says this is because the pain gives an additional sense of the injury. Explain this from the conditions of resentment.
4. To what two sources does Butler trace the calm satisfaction which accompanies compassion? Show that neither of these is selfish.
5. How does Butler explain the “amazing incongruity” of character which is falsely taken for hypocrisy ?
6. Show that self-love should induce us to conquer self-love. 7. Supposing it true, without limitation, that benevolence is the sum of virtue, how must this assertion be understood ?
8. What limitations does Butler actually introduce ?
9. What does he add in a higher and more general way of consideration respecting the pre-eminence of benevolence ?
10. The question, whether we should love God for His sake or our own is a mistake in language. For what is it mistaken, and how is the true question answered ?
1. What is the difference between Plato's Temperance and Justice ?
2. What were the functions of the several Virtues, according to the Stoics and Epicureans ?
What use did the Stoics make of Epicureanism ?