Imágenes de páginas
[ocr errors]

country village, to my present station in the midst of the metropolis of the world. Whenever I think of it, and look back upon it, I am filled with wonder, and constrained to exclaim with the Psalmist, “It is the Lord's doing, and marvellous in my eyes.' One thing is always pleasant to reflect upon. I left my little flock in the country in a much better position than I found it. When I went to Rattlesden, the number of members able to attend was not more than thirty-four; when I left it amounted to eighty, after deducting all the deaths and romovals in Providence which had occurred during the thirteen years I had

I been there. When I commenced my ministry there we had no school worth mentioning; when I left there was a very useful one, besides the circumstances of the people for supporting the cause were doubled. Also, after the first feelings had subsided, the affections of the people again turned towards me, so that one of the finest enjoyments I have had has been a visit to them now and then to spend a

Lord's-day with them, and never have they been forgotten at a throne of grace ; and now my prayer for them 18, Peace be within thy walls, and prosperity within thy palaces.'

For my brethren's sake I will now say. “ Peace be within thee."

Now, methinks I hear you, Mr. Editor, saying, and some of our readers muttering to themselves, however could the good people at Aliostreet get it into their heads to inquire about you as a minister likely to suit them, a man whom they had never heard nor seen, and of whose character and movements they know nothing ! It will now devolve upon me to explain this seemingly mysterious affair, an affair which the good people at Rattlesden could never reconcile with my statement, that “I knew nothing more about it than they did," which was the truth, and I wondered as much as they did. Space compels us here to close this letter. Peace be

with you.


Yours sincerely,


[merged small][ocr errors]

MRS. MARY BLAKE. OUR dear mother was a subject of the Holy Spirit's work very soon after she was twelve years old, and at that time joined the Wesleyans. Some time after, in the order of Divine Providence, she came to London, and was led to hear Mr. Lucombe at Bethel Chapel, City-road, by whom she was baptized,

as letters received by her from a friend, Miss Beresford, who addressed her as “my very dear sister in Christ," testify.

She afterwards entered, about 1834 or 1835, the service of Mrs. Warren at Kentish Town, then a member at Salem Chapel, under the pastoral care of the late revered Mr. John Stevens. Our dear mother attended his ministry with the family. She joined

the church there in 1841, and continued a member until the time of its dissolution, quietly and unobtrusively attending the services whenever her occupation permitted, which was not, however, as often as she wished. We know the precious gospel of the grace of God as there preached was her soul's delight. When by changes in the church the ordinance of the Lord's supper was administered in the evening instead of the afternoon she was much grieved, being scarcely ever able to attend, being bound to time, and her great age and the distance rendered it at last quite impossible. But although the church was dissolved, and she was thus, as it were, left without a spiritual home, she said Salem's God was still her God, and the throne of grace was still open to

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

her. For the last two or three years she has attended Rehoboth Chapel, Pimlico, being the nearest place where she could find the pure gospel, and that was as far as she could well walk. She used to visit us on Sunday afternoons, the only time she could come, and as we have been lately in some trying business difficulties, she was much distressed, but still said she could always, when she got home, go and lay all her troubles before her Heavenly Father, and look to Him for help and strength, bidding us to look where she did, and to seek help from the same Almighty source.

As regards her last days there is not much to say, as she was actually laid aside less than two days. When we first went to her in the hospital, where she had been taken to undergo an operation, she said, “This sickness is not unto death ; " but when she felt doctors and nurses were correct in saying there was no hope, she said,

Thy will be done.” When asked if she was happy, she said, “Yes, but not as happy as I could wish. I should have liked to see things clearer with you.” When spoken to by her sister who was with her for about twenty-four hours, she said, “Yes, I know it is all for the glory of God, but I cannot see how God is to be glorified by my being laid on a sick bed in this hospital; but I suppose I shall know hereafter, and perhaps you will all know very soon. Thus she passed away, and, we doubt not, entered her everlasting rest; for the foundation of her hope was “The Rock of Ages,” which never gives way. Almost her last words were, perfectly resigned ; His will be done.” She “fell asleep,” June 30th, 1880, aged 70, and was interred at Willesden Cemetery. Mr. Box, of Soho Chapel, kindly conducted the funeral service, which was very solemn and impressive, and together with his conversation, greatly encouraging to those of us who hope, through grace divine, to enter the same eternal home.


MR. BARNES. Sudden death at Bethesda Chapel,

Ipswich. A SOLEMN proof of the verity of the language that In the midst of life we are in death,” was witnessed at Bethesda Baptist Chapel, Fonnereauroad, Ipswich, in the death of a gentleman, whose immortal soul was called from time into eternity in the space of a few moments. The deceased was Mr. Barnes, residing at 59, Woodbridge-road, and was 75 years of age. He had just arrived at the chapel, and occupied his seat as usual, when his son observed symptoms of illness, and immediately rendered his aid. Assistance was also rendered by others of the congregation, and deceased was carried into the vestry. Dr. Roche, passing at the time, was called in; but it was found that life was quite extinct. During the morning the body was removed to the mortuary, and an inquest held on the following day, when, from the evidence adduced, a verdict of “ Death from heart disease” was returned. Mr. Barnes was formerly a farmer, and resident at Redlingfield, Suffolk, and a regular attendant at the Baptist Chapel, Horham. He retired from his occupation as farmer about two years since, and came to reside at Ipswich, during which time he has invariably attended Bethesda. Mr. Barnes made no profession of religion, and was a man of very few words; but, according to outward appearance, was a very consistent and humble person, and from what little conversation various per, sons had with him, it may be hoped that he was among the number “ that thought upon His name," and we do trust that he now beholds the face of Jesus with unclouded joy, and has joined in singing the song of Moses and the Lamb. He was a widower, and leaves an only son for whom great sympathy is felt in the loss he has 80 suddenly been called to bear. How solemn such events are, and how loudly they speak to us— Be ye also ready, for in such on hour as yo think not the Son of Man cometh," and a

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

I am


[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

solemn prayer proceeds from our inmost souls in the language of the poet:

Prepare me, gracious God,

To stand before thy face ;
Thy Spirit must the work perform,

For it is all of grace:” while we know not how true the language of David may be in our own experience, “There is but a step between me and death."

B. J. NORTHFIELD. Argyle-street, Ipswich.


On Lord's day evening, August 1st, this godly man and faithful preacher fell asleep at the age of 72 years, after a long and most painful affliction of nearly twelve months' duration, by the force of which for part of that time his mind had been quite deranged. While in that sad condition, however, he was alive to spiritual realities, and would at short intervals speak, with great energy, his deep experience and rich enjoyment thereof, after breaking out in song of some favourite hymn, especially those commencing, "In union with the Lamb, from condemnation free,” and “A friend there is-oh how He loves !” &c.

For the last three months his reason was mercifully restored. But his bodily frame was weakened, and his soul joy was frequently interrupted. He would say, I want more joy, but I am steady. I rest on the Rock,” and he would still often speak unto himself in psalms, and hymns, and spiritual songs. Our dear brother was, many years ago, for a time pastor of the church at Witham, and has long been known as a humble, fervent, experimental preacher of the word amongst many of the churches in Essex. During his mental affliction he would often pray for and mention lovingly these, saying,

" Blessed Sabbath! Í

pray for all in Witham, and Wickford, and Heybridge," &c. Visiting him unexpectedly at this time, he exclaimed, “I bless God I know you,

and that you are here. All hail ! hallelujah ?" Sitting up with him that night, he repeatedly said, “Now,

And he would listen quietly and enter feelingly into the exercise, and add, half incoherently, but with clear grasp of gospel truth, prayer of Michael shall prevail. I demand fifty thousand prayers for the man that shall proclaim Him the only Mediator; ” for he firmly believed in but one archangel, the messenger of the covenant. For a long period, through the increasing oppression of the dropsy, our friend was unable to lie down, and at length, just before the sun went down on the Sabbath day, propped in his easy chair, his head drooped, and without a struggle or a sigh, his redeemed spirit returned to Him who gave it. On the Friday following we buried his body in Chelmsford cemetery, “in sure and certain hope of resurrection unto life eternal,” and believingly sung over his grave :

“ There is a land of pure delight,

Where saints immortal reign;
Infinite day excludes the night,

And pleasures banish pain." He was a good man, and honourable—firm in the truth and upright in life; poor in this world, but rich in faith, and the memory of the just is blessed. May as much be said of us. He leaves only a widow to follow after -worn with much patient watching, but waiting in hopean heir of the same grace. The Lord care for her. Ipswich.


Saints exalted high in glory,

Round the throne a sacred throng, Make redemption's wondrous story, Still the burden of their song:

Ever praising
Him who was for sinners slain.

Pilgrims there no longer tarry,

Waiting for the morning light: They have ceased the cross to carry, They have ceased to toil and fight;

Ever praising
Him who was for sinners slain.


To the Editor of the Gospel Herald.

Wood Hall, Stoke Ash,

Suffolk, August 16th, 1880. DEAR MR. EDITOR,- Intelligence of the churches is generally so acceptable that perhaps you may be glad to have a few reminiscenses of a pleasant vacation tour spent with Christian friends. August 3rd. - Cambridge. Here

— every account of our beloved brother Jull's labours is more encouraging, A well-filled chapel, sermons received with pleasure and profit, the increasing regard and affection in which the pastor is held, are gratefully spoken of by all. A great Sunday

A school centenary meeting was this day held in the magnificent Town Hall, which was opened by prayer by brother Jull, and all spoke with pleasure of the appropriateness and fervour of our dear friend's supplication.

August 5th.-Cottenham.–Visited the chapel in which Thomas Sutton preached, and payed also a pilgrim visit to the good man's last restingplace. A handsome monument has recently been erected to his memory by his son Cornelius, President of Argyle College. Thought of his direction to John Foreman at his ordination, “to look out for any of Christ's lambs who may be on the windy side of the hill, exposed to the cold blasts of tribulation and temptation, and to seek to bring them ministerially to the sunny side, where the soft rays of the Sun of Righteousness may cheer and revive them.” The church is without a pastor, but earnestly desiring one. May the Master hear their cries.

August 7th.-Ipswich.-Glad news of brother Kern's continued prosperity at Bethesda. Zoar Chapel is yet without a minister, but the church keeps nobly together in unity and love.

August 8th.-Beccles.-Stood for

the first time in the late George Wright's pulpit with peculiar and solemn feelings. The unfavourable weather thinned the congregation, but we felt at home and happy. Visited the good man's home and study, which is kept just as he left it, and fancy pictured his tall form bending over his well-used desk as in days gone by. The friends are happy and hopeful, Mr. W. H. Smith, of Tenterden, Kent, having accepted a call to the pastorate after a sojourn of ten years with his present people. Our brother is known and respected in some parts of Suffolk already, and confident expectations are entertained of his success.

August 9th.-Yarmouth.—The little York-road Chapel, a model sanctuary for neatness and comfort, is still without a minister. Every one, however, appeared cheered with brother Beach's sermons on the previous day. A pastor is prayerfully besought by the brethren at the hands of the church's great Head.

August 11th.-Aldburgh-on-Sea.-, Visited the neat little mission chapel recently erected, a branch of the Aldringham church. Our brother Bland's kindness to the Christians in this locality is great, and is gratefully appreciated. In company with brother Hill, happed on brother Archibald G. Brown, of Stepney, whose kindness and courtesy were great. His account of his recently-instituted orphanage was most interesting and touching.

Shall venture to trouble you with some further particulars next month.

August 13th.-Saxmundham.-At the station we met with a Christian brother. who worships at the small chapel in which brother Lockwood of Beccles ministers. We could hear of no great doings, but quiet little gatherings assembled, and blessing is realized.

August 15th.-Stoke Ash.--Hearing some while since of brother Hill's indisposition, we volunteered to preach for him on one of our vacation Sun

[ocr errors]


days. Accordingly the following bill

widely circulated : “Baptist Chapel, Stoke Ash.

On Lord's day, August the 15th, 1880, sermons will be preached (D.V.) by Mr. W. J. Styles of London. No collection. Come and hear.” The invitation was not in vain; for morning and afternoon the spacious chapel was filled, and our hearts made exceedingly glad. Brother Hill is better. Rest and absolute freedom from ministerial work is, humanly speaking, all he requires.

August 15th.- Occold. - Evening.

Was driven over to the Sunday-school anniversary. Found the quaint little chapel filled, to listen to brother J. W. Boud, of Earl's Soham. The singing was sweet, the sermon appropriate, and all soomed encouraged. The church is without a pastor, brother Cordle having left them.; but they, too, are earnestly seeking a faithful under-shepherd.

Here our jottings end. May God bless the churches of his grace.

Ever yours,


The Gospel Bield.

“Goye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature.”


INDIA. Ar Poonamallee, as recorded in the report from thence for June, some had been ill, including the

native preacher, and his wife and child. The teacher of the school had left, it having been discovered, although previously quite unsuspected, that his moral character was not good, notwithstanding that he is a professed Christian-not one of our members, but belonging to the Church Missionary Society. The case of a rich land-owner is mentioned, Singaravila by name, who has long listened to Abel Michael's preaching, has long been under deep convictions, and repeatedly expressed a wish to follow Christ, but is prevented by family ties and caste prejudices. He speaks reverently of Jesus, and longs to profess Him, Bro. Doll says, and does not conceal the matter. “ Brethren," our brother adds, “pray for him, that the divine power and grace may liberate him from all idolatrous ties, and bring him to an open avowal of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

At St. Thomas' Mount, by contributions obtained from friends, principally members of the Madras church, Bro. Noble had been enabled to whitewash and otherwise cleanse the Mission Chapel, “ which now looks neat and clean.” This chapel was erected about five years ago,

owing to the exertions of Mr. Noble, and paid for by grants from our mission funds, and contributions obtained by our brother on the spot. It has been of great benefit to the cause, as previously no building of the kind for the worship of God by Strict Baptists existed at St. Thomas' Mount. As our brother is about leaving this station, it may be proper here to state that when he was first appointed to it, the Mission church consisted of only two members, although for eight years previously we had supported an agent here, who was a native of the country. During Bro. Noble's occupancy of the post, thirty-six persons in all have joined, of whom twenty-four have been baptized on the spot. He considers that but for various hindrances that have arisen during the last two or three years, more would have been accomplished. He was first appointed to St. Thomas' Mount in 1874.

CEYLON. Happy Death of one of our Mission Church

Members. In a letter recently received, Mr. Andriesz thus refers to the changes incidental to the kingdom of Christ on the earth :

“ The Lord having granted to the church an occasion of great rejoicing, by six persons professing Christ by baptism,

« AnteriorContinuar »